Welcome to my Blog!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Leap Day by Wendy Mass


Overall Rating: 6 out of 10
     Leap Day by Wendy Mass details the sixteenth birthday of Josie Taylor, who just so happens to be born on February 29th: Leap Day. Josie takes her driving test, auditions for the school play, participates in a scavenger hunt, and takes part in the traditional initiation at the lake all in one special day, not including the run-ins with her crush, her enemies, her friends and other interesting characters.
     What I loved about this book was how Mass alternated the chapters from Josie's point of view to the perspectives of the other characters included in the chapter. It really put a fun spin on things. Another great part of the story was how she "leaped" ahead to the future and explained what happened to minor characters, which was very interesting. Also, the story was original and Josie's narration was humorous, fresh, and spunky. From thoughts like "The only day of the year when I'm not afraid of dying is my birthday. I mean, the odds of both being born and dying on Leap Day are practically astronomical." (23) , to "He's actually wearing a sash like he's running for Miss America. Except, instead of saying Miss Florida, his sash says: Official Hall Monitor, second floor. I've seen him before. He's only a freshman. He should fear me." (36). Josie, in the midst of receiving a detention slip says, "I consider pulling the old "but I just got my period and have to run to the bathroom" excuse, but I don't have the nerve. So instead, I say, 'But it's my birthday!' (36). Josie is like the average teenage girl, but has a few unique quirks that set her apart from the rest.
    There were a few unfavorable parts to this story. For example, Mass, although she explained what happened in the far future, did not satisfy the reader with what happened overall. She left a lot up for grabs, which, although it was fun to explore the many possibilities, did not leave the reader with a sense of closing. I felt as if there should be a sequel, or at least an epilogue. For example, Josie seems to connect with many boys throughout the story, yet Mass never mentions if she pursues an actual relationship with one in particular, or not at all. Additionally, the story takes place in Orlando, Florida, and Josie visits the Magic Kingdom briefly with her friends, but I feel as if the story should have taken place somewhere else or Mass should have incorporated it more into the plot.
     Leap Day is a great read that I strongly recommend. Readers who enjoyed Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall, also by Wendy Mass, The Confessions of A Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, or Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway, will also like this novel. Leap Day is fluffy and light, and somewhat easy to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment